This is a project I’m currently working on, which is making my own BJD from scratch!
I chose to make a goblin because I thought it would be fun, but also because being a fantasy creature the proportions wouldn’t be quite as crucial as attempting something like the beautifully figurative BJD girls and boys for my first attempt.
So, I’ve been using LaDoll Premix to do the sculpting and following Ryo Yoshida’s BJD Making guidebook as well as various websites I’ve come across on my searches for BJD making info.
Below are photos of progressive stages of the process:
This is moulded around a polystyrene ball I got from an art shop. I carved it before layering the paperclay over the top of it. This still needs some work in terms of sanding and refining but you can see the idea!
The ears I made separately and allowed them to dry before fixing them to the side of the head. I marked the positions of the ears on each side of the head and then drilled a small hole all the way through to make sure they would be even. I had pushed a small rod of wood (trimmed down toothpick) into each sculpted ear before they were dry so that this could be ‘plugged’ into the drilled hole and so give extra support when fixing the ear to the head.
This is the torso which like the head, and in fact all the other pieces is moulded around a polystyrene base I had carved before-hand (using a serrated knife and rasp – very messy!). I gave him a pot belly, which I thought would give him a bit of character.
Again, at this stage there is plenty of sanding and refining to do, but you can see the basic shapes and get a rough idea of where it’s going.
And after a ton of sanding and painting, I finally finished my little handmade ball jointed goblin. Take a look!
I followed the Ryo Yoshida method, using LaDoll Premix. Once I’d done a lot of sanding I applied a waterproofing agent to seal the paper clay and then painted in acrylic on top. The body blushing was done using pastels and then all the pieces were sprayed using a Matt Varnish. Then all was strung together using elastic and Voila! – a cheeky, lil green gobbo is born.
Unfortunately these were taken on my old camera so they’re not the most brilliant photos, but I just wanted to get a couple of snaps up. And I was chuffed that I finally finished him!