Hujoo Berry has a new Hair-do! 

I’ve done a little bit of work on her right-hand gauntlet, but I haven’t quite finalised that yet… so for now I’ve been working on a new wig. I’d been looking into getting some natural fibres such as Mohair in a lovely auburn colour to give her a more vintage, romantic look. Inspired by BJD Magazine’s super tutorial about how to make a no-sew wig with wig cap*, I realised it didn’t have to be as difficult and time-consuming as I had initially thought!

*All available at BJD Magazine: http://bjdmagazine.com/2011/01/11/tutorial-create-a-no-sew-wig-with-wig-cap-for-your-bjd/

So, I needed to get hold of some soft wool fibres, and lots of them, since Hujoo Berry has such a big head! I had initially planned to use Mohair and to buy this from ebay, but by chance I was chatting to my mum about it and she mentioned she could acquire some Alpaca wool for me to try. There is a local Alpaca farm near her home in East Sussex who she sources wool from to make environmentally friendly and hypo-allergenic cushions from – she sells these at http://www.designercushionsandthrows.com/.

So she brought me over some Alpaca wool for me to test, courtesy of the adorable Alpacas who live happily at Spring Farm in Fletching East Sussex  http://www.springfarmalpacas.co.uk/

I’ve found it to be lovely and soft and the colour was exactly what I had been looking for, which was lucky! They do also come in a variety of other lovely colours:

So I set about following the BJD magazine tutorial instructions, as well as Ryo Yoshida’s superb doll making guide book, which I ordered from Hobby Link Japan* recently (who by the way turned out to be a great place to shop – great comms, accept Paypal, customs fees included in the price, and Fedex service available. To my surprise my book arrived in just 1 week! Cost about £30 in total)   *http://www.hlj.com/

I started making the wig cap, having covered her face in cling film and and glueing the fabric sections as in the tutorial. (I didn’t take any pictures because it’s all really clearly explained on the BJD Magazine site.)

What I did slightly differently though was to prepare sections of hair in advance:

I know, it looks really weird! But it was quite practical, because I just squirted my PVA glue into the middle and then with  a brush glued each section to the plate, so that I could peel it off easily later. I made two of these hairy frisbee plates, but later made another one adding smaller sections of hair as well. I needed these at the front of the wig cap to neatly frame her face.

I left the glued hair sections to dry over night. In the morning I peeled them off the plate and trimmed the edges with scissors.

I then started glueing the sections onto the wig cap:

(This just shows the wig cap on a wig stand, just it was nice and clear for the photo. I did the glueing while she was wearing it, her head still wrapped in cling film.)

This really didn’t take very long at all, only a few hours. And the Alpaca wool has worked really well!

And the result is gorgeous!!

Wild and tousled!

 

The wool has such a thick, soft texture and gentle colour gradation!
Neat bun
Close up of face. The wig has come out really well and fits nicely
Next up: I’ve been playing around with making a swivel-down eyepiece made from a brass fixing from an old chest of drawers… It’ll all make sense soon enough!!

0 thoughts on “New Hair!”

  1. Hi
    I found this tutorial at BJD Magazine as well and then I saw your comment on it and headed straight here to see how you made it and I must tell you it looks fantastic! Just like the wig I need for my doll so now I'll really have to give it a try.
    I have one question though, how was it to do that "parting" part? How did you make it so glueless and seamless and well… just perfect.

    And I love the outfits you make, they are truly a works of art.

    Cheers from here 😉

    nini

  2. Hi Nini!

    Thanks for your kind message! I have some better pictures on this post, with a small bit of explanation in the comments part here:

    http://degaraydolls.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/welcome-home-dollzone-kimi.html

    I used a small stiff paintbrush to apply the glue bit by bit, working my way from the bottom of the wig cap up to the crown. For the parting I placed 2 opposing wefts so that the seams were pushed up close against each other to form a neat parting.

    Hope this helps, if you have any other queries I'd be happy to help! If you have a blog/flickr/deviant art, feel free to post a link here, I'd love to see how your wig works out! 😀

    Kerstin xx

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: